You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.
We are a North American energy infrastructure company. Our focus is on providing clean and affordable energy in the Utilities and Midstream sectors.
Every day, we leverage the strength of our assets and expertise to connect our customers with premier energy solutions––from the well sites of upstream producers, to the doorsteps of homes and businesses, to markets around the world.
With a strong portfolio of assets in some of the fastest-growing energy markets, including a prominent position in the Montney basin and utilities in five U.S. jurisdictions, we are developing an integrated footprint capable of delivering sustained value to shareholders and customers for many years to come.
A Year of Transformation
2018 was a transformational year for AltaGas. By acquiring a major U.S. utility and divesting a number of non-core assets, we reshaped our business and made significant progress in repositioning ourselves as a low-risk, high-growth Utilities and Midstream company.
- Added Washington Gas––one of the United States’ largest and longest serving utilities––to our portfolio with the $9 billion acquisition of WGL Holdings, Inc.
- Advanced our integrated Midstream offering in northeast British Columbia, which increased our natural gas liquids (NGL) capabilities in the Montney. We also signed definitive agreements which underpin future expansion of our gas processing and fractionation capabilities. Both steps help to shore up additional supply to our cornerstone asset, the Ridley Island Propane Export Terminal (RIPET), located on Canada’s northwest coast. It was constructed throughout 2018 and commissioned in May 2019.
- Sold several non-core Midstream and Power assets, including our interest in the Northwest Hydro Facilities, and completed the initial public offering of AltaGas Canada Inc.
These strategic moves and our continued efforts in 2019 have effectively re-focused our business and established a strong platform for future growth.
Transitioning to a Low-Risk, High-Growth
Utilities and Midstream Company
We have established a significant presence in Western Canada through our continued investment in natural gas infrastructure, and the development of a western energy hub in northeast British Columbia. Our integrated footprint in the region provides producers with value-added services and the opportunity to move NGLs to premium markets in Asia. For more on this, read the RIPET story. We have investments in natural gas pipelines, both in operation and under development, in Canada and the U.S. We also have ownership interests in the Ferndale Terminal off the west coast of the U.S. which stores and exports LPG.
Our capabilities include:
- natural gas gathering and processing
- NGL extraction and fractionation
- storage, marketing and transport
- propane export to global markets
Through our regulated natural gas utilities (ENSTAR, SEMCO and Washington Gas), we serve approximately 1.6 million residential, commercial and industrial customers in Alaska, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Michigan and Virginia.
Through a commitment to operational excellence, we are focused on:
- modernizing our natural gas infrastructure
- providing an exceptional customer experience
- safely delivering this critical energy source to heat homes and fuel the businesses of the communities we serve
Although no longer core to our strategy, we continue to maintain a small portfolio of power assets, including gas-fired power generation and energy storage facilities in Canada and the U.S.
Our Midstream strategy is to leverage our unique export capability to drive growth across our business.
Our Utilities strategy is to drive continued operational excellence by reducing our costs and improving our customer experience.
For any inquiries regarding this report or its contents, please contact ESG@altagas.ca.